Jacqueline Benson, PsyD
Licensed Psychologist #PSY32556
Dr. Jacqueline Benson is a licensed psychologist and teaching artist. She earned bachelor’s degrees in both music performance and human development from California State University Long Beach and received her doctorate in clinical psychology from the Wright institute in 2018. In addition to her clinical work Dr. Benson is a performing artist and serves as a board member for The Quinan Street Project, a non-profit that provides theater arts education to public schools in West Contra Costa.
Dr. Benson completed her post-doctoral residency at Kaiser Walnut Creek Child & Family Psychiatry. Since the start of her career in behavioral health she has done extensive clinical work in high schools, youth shelters, hospitals and community health clinics. Dr. Benson has diverse experience providing individual and group psychotherapy to children, adolescents, adults and families both at the outpatient and intensive outpatient levels. She is also a health educator and consultant and has developed and delivered mental health training and workshops to organizations such as Girls Inc., Sutter Health, & Kaiser Permanente
How I work...
- I believe that therapy is a relationship.
- I partner with my clients who are experts on their specific experiences and challenges.
- Listening and getting to know you is crucial. Together we can explore what’s bringing you into therapy and identify tools and strategies that make use of the strengths you already have to help you develop new skills and assist you in reaching your goals.
- I am fortunate to have received training and supervision from brilliant and diverse clinicians and I've trained in psychodynamic, person-centered approaches as well as cognitive behavioral interventions such as CBT, DBT, ACT and trauma focused CBT (TF-CBT).
- I've developed my own integrative style that that uses evidence based practices to focus on helping you to identify strategies that resonate with your goals. Those strategies are in collaborative consideration of your cultural background, identity and lived experiences.
- I believe that our thoughts, feelings and where we are in our development all impact how we experience mental health challenges.
- When working with performers and creatives in therapy I also consider and integrate the added layer of how my client's creative and professional experiences are influencing their behavior, emotional experiences and mental health challenges.
- I provide online Individual Therapy for Adults 18+, Teens 13+, and Children 11+
- $250 per 45-50 minute individual therapy session